Coltishall Hall is a Grade II listed large country house built in about 1700 in a 17th century style, with 19th century alterations. Faden's map of 1797 shows the house surrounded by a large park, which has now disappeared. It is believed that it was modernised in about 1830, extended and given fine interiors including stairs, ceilings and a remarkable room with a tented ceiling, similar to the Music Room in the Assembly Rooms in Norwich, which survives to this day. It was altered again in 1871, when it was given a new facade. The central pediment bears the date of 1871.
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) describes Coltishall as "A large village, with a fair on Whit-Monday, and a considerable trade in malt, corn, and ale. It is pleasantly scattered on the east bank of the Bure". One of the major land owners at that time was a Mrs. Ward, of Coltishall Hall. The Hall being described as "a neat house, on a woody declivity."
By 1851 the census records show that a wealthy Norfolk parson the Rev John Nathaniel Micklethwait, his wife Emily and five servants were living at Coltishall Hall. The parson subsequently inherited Taverham Hall in 1856' following the death of his father Nathaniel Micklethwait.
The Hall changes hands once again and White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1854) records that In the village of Coltishall "The soil is the property of a number of proprietors; the largest of whom is a Wm. Burroughes, Esq.(1802-1862) of Coltishall Hall". When William Burroughes drew up his Will in November 1862 he was still in residence as was he on his death on the 4th April 1866. The Hall passed to his brother Harvy Negus Burroughes. The 1871 census records that landowner & magistrate Richard Rogers, his wife Milicient and their six children were then in residence at the Hall.
During the 1920’s and 30’s The Hall was owned by Reverend and Mrs Rogers.
During the Second World War, The Royal Army Medical Corps, and possibly REME, commandeered the Hall. During this time, the grounds belonging to the Hall extended much further than they do now and would have contained High House and its neighbour Marlpit House.
In it's post WW2 history Coltishall Hall has been a Hotel & Restaurant, Insurance Company HQ and a Nursing Home. In the 1970's "The Lodge" was added to the rear of the main hall, initially as offices for the insurance company Pioneer Mutual Insurance, but now contains 7 of the luxury apartments within the complex.
Coltishall Hall & The Lodge is now a development of 13 privately owned 1,2,3 & 4 bedroom apartments in the Norfolk village of Coltishall.
Coltishall Hall Management Company Ltd. is operated on the lines of a "Right to Manage" company and is also in the fortunate position of owning the Freehold Title to the Hall & Grounds. Each lease holder is a shareholder of the Company, thereby insuring an opportunity for those owning most of the value in the building - the leaseholders - to run their own affairs and to make their own decisions about the management and upkeep of their apartments whilst retaining an interest in the freehold in perpetuity.
Help for Heroes was founded in October 2007 out of a desire to help the wounded Servicemen and women returning from Afghanistan and Iraq.